The Contrary Wife block is made from squares and half square triangles in a 3 by 3 square grid layout. With this calculator you can create projects using a variety of piecing methods, sizes, quantities and fabric bolt widths.While I make every effort to be sure of accuracy, I am unable to test every variation. Before you cut up large amounts of fabric, cut and sew a test block or two. If you find any errors, please email me at "jeannethro2 at yahoo dot com".
Settings & Preview
18 inches by 18 inches
Half Square Triangle instructionsMatch 1 strip of each fabric right sides together.Using a side right triangle ruler, cut half square triangles. Move ruler upside down for next cut when necessary.Sew ¼ inch seam on long side of triangle pair.Press seam to one side.
Make 36 half square triangle units.
Contrary Wife Finishing instructions
Layout each Contrary Wife block units as shown and chain piece together first rows, then columns using a ¼ inch seam. Press seams to one side.
Make 9 blocks.
Quilt Sandwich instructions
- Place pressed backing right side down on a flat surface large enough to lay flat; tape in place at sides, then corners.
- Lay batting on top of backing and smooth wrinkles; tape in place at sides, then corners. (If using slippery batting, spray baste to baking and top.)
- Put pressed quilt on top right side up.
- Smooth borders and blocks square, pushing excess toward middle. Quilting will take up slack and quilt will hang better.
- Pin baste 3 to 4 inches apart in quarters down length and width. Finish pin basting each quarter 3 to 4 inches apart.
- If the number of binding strips are greater than 1, sew strips together by laying ends right sides together forming an L.
- Sew on diagonal where fabrics cross from upper left to lower right.
- Trim excess to ¼ inch.
- Repeat to make a continuous strip; press seams open.
- Fold and press strip lengthwise in half wrong sides together.
- Leaving a 5 inch tail, sew binding to quilt top matching raw edges with a ¼ inch seam.
- Stop ¼ inch before corner with needle down.
- Pivot work as if to sew next side and reverse sew off quilt top.
- Fold binding back, creating a 45 degree fold, then fold forward matching fold to previously sewn side.
- Continue sewing binding, and repeat above for each corner.
- Stop sewing approximately 5 inches from beginning.
- Unfold and overlap ends.
- Cut at an approximate 45 degree angle somewhere where both ends overlap.
- Match ends wrong sides together, leaving equal dog ears.
- Sew together with a ¼ inch seam.
- Refold binding and finish sewing to quilt.
- Fold binding to back and handstitch to finish using a blind stitch.